What is DDoS attack?
What is DDoS attack? DDoS Attack (Distributed Denial of Service Attack) is a type of network attack in which hackers use a botnet to send a large number of fake requests to a specific server, which makes the system overloaded. The goal of a DDoS Attack is making online services or websites unavailable, harming the operations of businesses.
What is DDoS Attack operation?
What is DDoS Attack operation? DDoS attacks are carried out from many different sources (botnets), it’s difficult to prevent by blocking the IP address of the attack sources. Below are the 3 steps in operation of DDoS:
- Step 1: Build a botnet: Hackers infiltrate computers or online devices, usually through installing malware or using security vulnerabilities. After the infiltration, those devices become parts of a botnet and are controlled by hackers via a remote server.
- Step 2: Send fake requests: Hackers send millions of fake requests to the target at the same time. These can be HTTP, TCP, or UDP requests depending on the type of attack.
- Step 3: Overloading the target system: With a large number of requests, the target server or network system can’t handle them in time, which leads to overload. This makes the service unavailable to real users.
To protect systems against DDoS Attacks, organizations need to implement network security measures, use professional anti-DDoS services and regularly update systems to eliminate security vulnerabilities.
How to prevent DDoS Attack?
How to prevent DDoS Attack? To prevent DDoS Attacks, organizations need to deploy network security measures, use professional anti-DDoS services and regularly update the systems to eliminate security vulnerabilities. Here are ways to prevent DDoS:
- Deploying firewalls and intrusion detection/orchestration systems (IDS/IPS) to detect and block fake requests.
- Using a CDN to distribute the load from global servers, reduces pressure on the main server and increases network resilience.
- Implementing the SYN/ACK protocol so that the server acknowledges the request before processing, which prevents SYN flood attacks.
- Using anti-DDoS services from professional providers to prevent cyber attacks and minimize system impact.
- Optimizing network infrastructure to withstand high loads and enhance security.
- Using traffic monitoring and analysis tools to monitor network activity and detect early manifestations of DDoS.
- Developing emergency plans and recovery procedures to ensure the ability to respond to DDoS attacks quickly and effectively.
- Updating systems and applications usually with the latest security patches to ensure hackers can’t attack through vulnerabilities.
- Assessing risks to identify potential weaknesses and put in place appropriate security measures.
- Training employees to recognize and respond to DDoS attacks.
Risk from new ways of DDoS Attack
The risks from new ways of DDoS Attacks are the improvement of attack techniques, which makes detection and prevention more difficult. The main risks are:
- DDoS attacks using artificial intelligence: Hackers use artificial intelligence and machine learning to create smarter attacks and overcome traditional prevention measures.
- Use IoT botnets: The rise of Internet-connected (IoT) devices has created a potential source for hackers. IoT devices often have weak security and can be leveraged by hackers to create powerful botnets for DDoS attacks.
- Using new DDoS Attack protocols: Hackers can take advantage of vulnerabilities in new or poorly protected network protocols to carry out new attacks.
- Combined DDoS attacks: Hackers can combine different types of DDoS attacks, such as volume and application-layer attacks, to create a stronger impact and be more difficult to prevent.
- Using sophisticated malware: Hackers are increasingly skillful at hiding malware in requests, which makes detection more difficult.
- Direct attacks on anti-DDoS services: Hackers can target anti-DDoS services, make them overloaded and unable to perform their protection tasks.
- Multi-layer attack: Hackers use multiple layers of proxy servers to hide the sources of the attacks, which makes identification and blocking more complicated.
VNIS Cloud-WAF: Powerful anti-DDoS Attack solution
VNIS stands out with comprehensive Web/App/API security power, especially in dealing with Layer 3/4/7 DDoS attacks. This is thanks to the combination of many advanced security features of multi-CDN, Multi-Cloud WAF, AI Smart Load Balancing, Origin Shield, RUM (Real User Monitoring) and many other smart security features. The following are details about the outstanding features of VNIS WAF:
VNIS WAF prevents DDoS Attack
Effectively preventing DDoS Attacks with global multi-CDN infrastructure
VNIS has a global network infrastructure with more than 2,300 CDN points of presence (POPs) around the world. With a load capacity of 2,600 Tbps, VNIS can withstand large and complex DDoS attacks.
Advanced DDoS protection with Multi Cloud WAF firewall
VNIS not only focuses on upgrading network infrastructure but also pays special attention to providing effective security solutions. With more than 2,000 top-of-the-line OWASP anti-attack WAF rules and constantly updating new vulnerabilities, VNIS builds a sophisticated network security system. Our team of experts is always ready to quickly respond to complex attacks.
Managing and controlling every DDoS Attack on a single platform
One of the outstanding advantages of VNIS is smart and easy-to-use management interface. The management of multiple security features on a single platform optimizes processes and minimizes the impact of attacks.
Anti-DDoS Attack and comprehensive security for Layer 3/4/7
VNIS is not only a security system but also a reliable platform for organizations and businesses. With support against cybersecurity threats, VNIS brings maximum peace of mind to customers. With comprehensive security, superior network infrastructure and a team of dedicated experts, VNIS is the optimal choice to effectively deal with any cyber danger.
Above is the answer to what is DDoS attack and the most effective ways to prevent it. If your business needs an optimal network security and DDoS attack prevention solution, choose VNIS Cloud-WAF. Please contact VNETWORK via Hotline: (028) 7306 8789 or firstname.lastname@example.org or email email@example.com.